State HR Resources
Minnesota Pregnancy and Parental Leave Act
Employees may take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave upon the birth or adoption of their child when:
- they work for a company with 21 or more employees;
- they worked at least half time for 12 months; and
- they have been with the company for at least 12 months.
When does the parental leave start?
- The leave must be taken within 12 months of the birth or adoption.
- Employees must request the leave from their employer.
- Employees can choose when the leave will begin.
- Employers can adopt reasonable policies about when requests for leave must be made.